1. Disarankan registrasi memakai email gmail. Problem reset email maupun registrasi silakan email kami di inquiry@idws.id menggunakan email terkait.
  2. Untuk kamu yang mendapatkan peringatan "Koneksi tidak aman" atau "Your connection is not private" ketika mengakses forum IDWS, bisa cek ke sini yak.
  3. Hai IDWS Mania, buat kamu yang ingin support forum IDWS, bebas iklan, cek hidden post, dan fitur lain.. kamu bisa berdonasi Gatotkaca di sini yaa~
  4. Pengen ganti nama ID atau Plat tambahan? Sekarang bisa loh! Cek infonya di sini yaa!
  5. Pengen belajar jadi staff forum IDWS? Sekarang kamu bisa ajuin Moderator in Trainee loh!. Intip di sini kuy~

Learning Let's Learn English Here (Ayo belajar bahasa inggris)

Discussion in 'School and Campus Zone' started by Kenzaki, Dec 15, 2010.

1. aksa123 M V U

Post Hunter

Ratings:
    +343 / -0

TOEFL ITP is rather easy. Just reading and listening. Well most importantly you need to know about grammar structure: which is the subject, verb, adjective, adverb, object, or is this word functions as a noun or verb ??? For example, the word 'help' can either be a verb ('menolong') or noun ('bantuan'), and that verb+ing can be read not just as a continuous verb but also a noun (gerund). Example: 'I like sleeping' >>> 'sleeping' here is a noun, not a verb; the verb is 'like'. So you need to determine the 'element' of some words, which depend on the context. If you can master that, the rest will be easy. Also tenses are important (I HATE THIS !!). The trickiest part is the -perfect tenses (past perfect, present perfect, future perfect, plus their -continuous siblings).

Good luck!

2. Ramasinta Tukang Iklan

3. IonEnergy Members

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    YEAAY somebody reply my post, thnks aksa , i thought this thread dead for sure :ognangis:
    btw, im kind of confused about how to know " is this verb or noun ", u said "depend on context" can u gimme another example and explain it more spesific ? thnks aksa:obmatabelo:

4. aksa123 M V U

Post Hunter

Ratings:
    +343 / -0
    Yeah so some words can double as a noun and verb. And which one is it (noun or verb) depends on context. Example: "I want to help (verb) you"; "He needs your help (noun) right now". what do you want to do? I want to do something, so "want to" is followed by a verb. What do you need? I need something, so "need" is followed by a noun (I need a new bicycle, for example).
    It really depends on how you use it. For example, instead of want to verb, how about just want? I want a new smartphone! See? It's followed by a noun !!! Or I need to finish my work today? Need to is followed by a verb (finish) !!! So "I want to" is like "Saya ingin melakukan... (followed by verb), while "I want..." is "Saya ingin... (followed by object).
    I will teach you about grammar first. So a simple sentence can consist of:
    Subject + verb + object + adverb
    Subject + to be + adjective + adverb

Both subject and object must be nouns. So what if the subject and object are based on 2 verbs? Answer: you need to make them gerunds by adding -ing. Example: "killing (subj >> noun) is forbidden (adj)", "I (subj) like (verb) sleeping (obj >> noun). But "killing" can also be a continuing action or verb ??? (ex: he is killing mosquito with a sprayer). Yes it can, so again it depends on context.
    Example: "running (subj) is (to be) very tiring (adj)" (berlari itu sangat melelahkan). The words "run" and "tire" (tire = lelah (verb), not roda (noun)) have basic form of a verb, but by adding -ing (running and tiring) they now function as gerunds, which is noun. So I think verb-ing can also be used as an adj. Ex: Running Man, Running here is an adj, not a continuous verb, followed by a noun (Man), so "Running man" is not a sentence, but just a noun (subject to be more exact).
    Adverb is like an accessory and not an obligation, meaning that a sentence is grammatically valid with or without an adv. Example: "I (subject) like (verb) old (adj) cars (object) from the '60s (adv)". Remove the adv and it becomes "I like old cars" and this sentence is still grammatically valid. BUT the meaning of the sentence may change, depending on the proposed adv.
    Also, remember how to use a to be ? Basically you use it after a subject, unless that subject is followed by a non-continuous verb (non verb-ing), so this is a very major exception, okay??

So a big part in TOEFL is to fill the blank with a word or a set of words. And you can do that easily by determining what the blank space should be: a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb? Basic rule is that the grammar must be correct.

Sorry I am not good at teaching, but I hope you get what I am trying to tell you. (Why "good at teaching"? because teaching here is a noun!!)

5. lrk M V U

IELTS teacher

Ratings:
    +263 / -0
    You should learn English properly. It should be done in the classroom with an experienced teacher to guide you. I just took my TOEFL test several weeks ago and this is the result.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. aksa123 M V U

Post Hunter

Ratings:
    +343 / -0
    Holy sh*t ! Sasuga IELTS teacher :sembah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. lrk M V U

IELTS teacher

Ratings:
    +263 / -0
    Repost Video belajar panduan Task 2 IELTS Writing Maret 2017: Some people think educating children of different abilities together will benefit them. Others think intelligent children should be taught separately and should be given special courses. Discuss both sides and your own opinion. Silakan ditonton sampai selesai, semoga bermanfaat.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49xKPt2oRkw

• Like Like x 1
  8. lrk M V U

IELTS teacher

Ratings:
    +263 / -0
    LATIHAN IELTS SPEAKING METODE KNT

AUDIO di:

View: https://soundcloud.com/wara-rahan/speaking-knt-6-juli-2017

What jobs are most popular among young people in your country today.

Well, the idea of getting a job in the community of young adults in my country is getting more popular these days. Unlike in the past, people now are more into networking and they are more connected by the technology. As a result, these people tend to utilize the power of community to build a startup. A startup itself is a kind of entrepreneurship effort that needs mass audience and network in order to grow up rapidly. By obtaining some followers, a startup will be widely known in no time. This is the most trendy job these days, to name some successful startup in Indonesia is the Go-Jek start-up business, Kaskus, and other communities.

What job do you think are the least popular choice in your country?
    Well, from the top of my mind, I would say that working in a zoo is not really a popular choice in Indonesia. First of all, the zookeeper is hardly appreciated by the society. Second, of all, there is a risk involved in the regular activities of that job. Third, animals can sometimes be cute but at times, they can also be somewhat disgusting. From these facts, we can already see why not many young people willing to work as a zookeeper. In addition, the bad management by the upper management often leads to the reduction of salary of these ‘unsung heroes.’

In general, how important is money, the pay when people choose what job to do or what career to have?
    Taking a quick look in my daily activities I can say with a certainty that money is really important. For starters, I have a wife and I have a family that relies on me. My little sister is still in school, and education is kinda expensive these days. I need to earn money from my job, and it needs to be more than adequate because the lack of money will lead to the lack of entertainment, and reduce the sense of security and life satisfaction. When someone cannot feel good about themselves, they cannot work optimally. It is essential that people earn enough money to support their family. It is not about being rich, it is about survival.

What future jobs do children in your country dream about doing?
    It is quite similar from the past. Becoming a doctor is still viewed as a good thing. A doctor is considered to be smart, rich, and respectable. I believe that becoming a doctor in Indonesia is not as good as it was before in the past. Before they can possibly earn enough money to cover their expensive education cost, they need to spend many years suffering in poverty. Most doctors are sent to remote areas, and therefore they do not receive an equal opportunity at income as do their colleagues who work in the big cities. All in all, children don’t know about this and many of them still dream to be a doctor when they grow up.

Why do some people change their job or career?
    There are multiple reasons possible for this action. I can imagine that people would embrace a better opportunity of salary or career. When there is an offer for more money by doing the exactly similar job, there is no reason not to take it. So first, we put financial reason on the list. Next, they might be sacrificing for their family, some jobs may offer less money but it only requires fewer work hours. Most working mothers are familiar with this situation as after they give birth, they tend to need more time to be allocated for their children. The final reason that I can think of is to get a new excitement. As time goes by, people might lose passion with their current jobs, and changing jobs for a new one that is more exciting is not entirely a bad thing.

Why do you think many new types of jobs are appearing in society?
    The society is changing and this wave is caused by the high use of technology. Jobs now are different with jobs in the past. In the past, people took jobs for survival. These days, people invent new jobs to be able to specialize. Without any specialty or special expertise, it is difficult to survive in the current world. You cannot just do the same thing as your grandparents did because the time is changing. Our traditional jobs are taken away by new machines, and more robotic machines replace humans ability. This is obviously why many new types of jobs have surfaced in the middle of public.

Do you think more people will be working from home in the future?
    Well, the probability is quite high I guess. The requirement to work from home is good internet connection which is already available nowadays. We also have been able to communicate through a webcam and see each other in real time. So, from the technical perspective, the infrastructure has been established. However, working from home is not easy as there will be more distraction. So, I guess I am not very certain whether there will be more people interested in doing their office-related activities from home.

What do you think are the pros and cons of working from home?
    Well, obviously the good thing is that one will be able to see more of their family members if they do decide to work from home. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing totally depends on the situation of the family. Sometimes, people think that is the only good thing, but if your office is very far from where you live, the best advantage is that you don’t have to commute every single day. Imagine the time you save from all those wasted time spent in public transportation. However, the negative side is that you can’t interact as intense as you need with your office colleagues. Meetings are almost non-existent, and all you get is all the deadline. I wouldn’t want to work like that.

Besides the need to get money what other reasons are there for people choosing to do a particular job/career?
    All is well is a term I heard when things went not as we normally expected it. This jargon helps keep the mind at peace with failure. In our day to day job, money can only push us so far. However, it is really our passion that helps us get through the difficult day. Without any kind of passion or job satisfaction, people cannot feel proud of what they do. Someone, for example, might choose a life of a painter although it is not sufficient to provide his family. However, the satisfaction that he gets from each strike of brush in the canvas worth more than money. People like this are essentially vital to our communities as they are able to help our world be a bit better. Some other people choose their career for the perks of the job. For instance, many friends of mine chose to be a DJ or Pilot or photographer so they can meet beautiful girls from all around the world regularly.

What do you think are the differences between the good co-worker and a bad coworker?
    Hmm, interesting question. I think I know the first and the most striking difference which is the way they react to your success. A good coworker will be the first to congratulate you and encourage you for more of the same success in the future endeavor. By contrast, a bad colleague will be unhappy as you are smiling successfully. They cannot believe why their ideas are rejected, and why your ideas implemented successfully. They tend to be aggressive and emphasize on the competitiveness. The second difference is just the opposite. When you fail at things, a good coworker will be the first to lend you a hand. The bad office partner will enjoy your misery and try to keep you down for a long time.

Do you think people tend to become more interested in their work as they become older?
    If a job has the tendency to become repetitive, I guess people will not be more interested as they may have already mastered all the things needed to know in their job. For example, the frontman of Radiohead stated that they really despise singing the Creep song, one of the most popular songs of Radiohead. They hated the song nowadays simply because the song is cheesy from their perspective, and they have already played the song so many times. Their interest in work is to invent and create new songs and tunes instead of performing the same song again and again as requested by their fans. So I think people will only be interested in their work if the work always offers a new challenge for their creativity and logic. A boring job like washing dishes or mopping the floor does not get better as you get older.

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of shift work?
    Well, working in a shift is necessary when the time of the job is long and it really needs the concentration of all employees involved in the job. As we know, people tend to work for eight hours in a day, before they go home to their family. If people are to spend more than this normal time, they are likely to be exhausted. So shift work, help you to find the balance and be fairer to all the employees. Sometimes, one will have to take the night shift and deal with fewer customers. But of course, one will also need to take the morning shift and deal with more customers. The disadvantage of shift work is the tendency to blame an individual when things did not go as planned.

Would you like to work abroad?
    Well, working abroad offers the opportunity to step on a new land, meet the citizens of a new country, and widen our overall understanding of how life works. It helps us to experience the culture shock and the culture gap. In addition, it also helps us to tolerate and appreciate other cultures and customs. However, it is essential to consider that we are able to improve our language before we go chasing employment opportunity in foreign soil. Without the good command of language, the experience is likely to be disastrous.

CATEGORIES SPEAKING

• Like Like x 1
  9. jaewon M V U

Lurking Around

Ratings:
    +230 / -0
    Oh God, it's almost perfect score, even I can't reach 550 in TOEFL like..

Oh hi, I'm new here. I've just finished my basic grammar course, so I'm sorry if any mistakes in my writing. I have a plan to register IELTS test next year and I need a place to practice my writing. Please correct my writing if I'm wrong.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

10. IonEnergy Members

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    THANKS ALOT AKSAAA hehe , im sorry for late reply. after some time, i read ur post again and studied what u said about subject, verb, and kind of like them, hehe. finally i understand what u mean about "this word functions as a noun or verb ? " anndd once again thanks a lot

OH GOD.. 650 ...
    i dont know what to say .... heheheh

11. lrk M V U

IELTS teacher

Ratings:
    +263 / -0
    it has been a while since my last visit here .... is this forum still attracting visitors?

12. aksa123 M V U

Post Hunter

Ratings:
    +343 / -0
    Hey I'm still here.

13. indo13 Members

Silent Reader

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    anyone has issue about TOEFL test?

14. dindapanda89 Members

Silent Reader

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    anyone is interested in learning English and IT/cryptocurrency at the same time?

15. etbandung Members

Silent Reader

Ratings:
    +0 / -1
    i learn english language since elementary scholl my parents put me into several english course while we move alot back then , after hitting high school i meet more often tourist and somehow i realize i can understand everything what theyre talking about even its a slang words thanks god for make it easy foe me :ogsayang:

16. bujang6 Members

Silent Reader

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I found that during this pandemic, my way of learning and practising English is through listening to music and watching movies -- without subtitles.... :ogelegan:

17. septiansebayang Members

Silent Reader

Ratings:
    +1,168 / -0
    wah. i want to join the english study group.

18. fuikikun M V U

Poem Lover

Ratings:
    +1,126 / -0

About Forum IDWS

IDWS, dari kami yang terbaik-untuk kamu-kamu (the best from us to you) yang lebih dikenal dengan IDWS adalah sebuah forum komunitas lokal yang berdiri sejak 15 April 2007. Dibangun sebagai sarana mediasi dengan rekan-rekan pengguna IDWS dan memberikan terbaik untuk para penduduk internet Indonesia menyajikan berbagai macam topik diskusi.